This was done as a user request from the Giant in the Playground forum. It’s an attempt to capture a particularly popular main character from a particularly popular and heavily modded RPG from 2011. I think it works, but only sort of: it really feels more like a Bardic College type to me, and I deliberately made the features not very powerful because they provide a lot of versatility to the class.
New Barbarian Path: Voice of the Scaled King
It is not in dragons’ biology or their arcane study that you hope to find their power. Instead, you have learned the speech of dragons, and in their words you command elemental forces beyond mortal understanding.
Dragontongue: You have begun to learn the language of dragons, giving you a measure of their mighty power. Beginning at 3rd level, you learn the Draconic language if you do not already know it and 3 Draconis Lexia from the collection below. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1). When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.
Unless otherwise specified, using these words takes an action. If a saving throw is required, the DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.
- Brass Protection: You can absorb elemental energies and send them back at your opponents. When you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage, your can use your reaction to reduce the damage by 1d6. The first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, you can deal an additional 1d6 damage of the triggering type.
- Breath of Flames: Fire erupts form your mouth, igniting the area in front of you. Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 2d6 fire damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful saving throw. This fire also ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren’t being carried or worn.
- Breath of Illness: You can make others sick with a breath attack. Make a ranged spell attack using your Dexterity modifier against a creature within 60 feet. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 poison damage and must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it is also poisoned until the end of your next turn.
- Breath of Life: You can invigorate others with your presence. You breathe on an adjacent creature, which regains 1d4 hit points and additionally gains 1d4 temporary hit points.
- Copper Mockery: A creature within 60 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, it takes 2d6 psychic damage and has disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn. On a successful saving throw, it only takes half damage and its attacks are unaffected.
- Dark Ambush: You can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see and become invisible. You have advantage on your next melee attack roll made before the end of your next turn.
- Freezing Tongue: You can hurl a frozen missile that shatters on impact, sending shards of ice into nearby enemies. Make a ranged spell attack using your Dexterity modifier against a creature within 60 feet. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 cold damage. Each creature adjacent to the target must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 cold damage as well.
- Reveal the Unseen: Each object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in gold or silver light (your choice) for 1 round. Creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a Dexterity saving throw or also be outlined in light. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius. Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can’t benefit from being invisible.
- Paralyzing Breath: Your breath inhibits a nearby creature. Make a ranged spell attack using your Dexterity modifier. On a hit, the creature either drops prone or on its next turn doesn’t move and takes no actions. A flying creature stays aloft, provided that it requires only minimal movement to do so. This feature has no effect if the target is a construct or undead.
- Sandstorm: You conjure a cloud of sand, limiting visibility within its radius. You create a 30-foot-radius sphere of swirling sand centered on a point within 60 feet of your position. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for up to 1 minute or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it. Creatures that enter the storm must make a Strength saving throw or spend 10 feet of movement for every 5 feet they move.
Majestic Speech: Beginning at 6th level, you can add double your proficiency modifier on Charisma-based skill checks that use language and for which you are already proficient. Additionally, you learn 1 new Draconic Lexum and can exchange one already known for a different one.
Inspiring Presence: Your voice encourages others to fight with greater facility. Beginning at 10th level, you can use your action to choose a number of allied creatures within 30 feet equal to your Constitution modifier. For the first attack roll affected creatures make before the beginning of your next turn, they can add 1d4 to the result rolled. On your turn, you can use your action to continue maintaining this effect up to a total of 1 minute. If you become unconscious, this effect ends. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest. Additionally, you learn 1 new Draconic Lexum and can exchange one already known for a different one.
Outburst: You have learned the most powerful Draconic Lexum and can powerfully unleash elemental energies during your rage. While you are raging, you can use your action and expend all uses of your Dragontongue. Hostile creatures within 30 feet of you take 2d10 of your choice of acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage for each use of Dragontongue expended. A Constitution saving throw halves the damage taken. Your rage immediately ends and you gain 1 level of exhaustion. Additionally, whenever you enter a rage and have no uses of Dragontongue left, you regain 1 use.